What causes submental fullness (aka double chin)?
Submental fullness can be caused by weight gain, genetics, and aging. It can affect both men and women. You don’t have to be overweight to have fullness under your chin. And sometimes, no matter how much you exercise or diet, the condition may not go away.
What is Kybella ®?
Kybella® is the only FDA-approved injectable treatment that destroys fat cells in the treatment area under the chin to improve your profile.
Kybella® may be right for you if:
- You’re bothered (unhappy, self-conscious, embarrassed) by fat under the chin, also known as submental fullness
- You feel the condition makes you look older or heavier than you actually are
- You don’t want to have surgery
- You eat well and exercise, but submental fullness does not go away
How Kybella® works
The active ingredient in Kybella® is synthetic deoxycholic acid. Deoxycholic acid is a naturally occurring molecule in the body that aids in the breakdown and absorption of dietary fat. When injected into the fat beneath the chin, Kybella® permanently destroys fat cells, resulting in a noticeable reduction in fullness under the chin. Once destroyed, these cells can no longer store or accumulate fat, so further treatment is not expected once you reach your desired aesthetic goal.
What to expect with Kybella®
Before starting treatment, Dr. Dawn Scruggs will examine the area under and around your chin to determine if Kybella® is right for you. Then, Dr. Dawn Scruggs will tailor your treatment to the amount of fat under the chin and your aesthetic goals.
Treatment can only be administered by a Kybella®-trained healthcare specialist, such as Dr. Dawn Scruggs. At each treatment, you will receive multiple small injections under your chin, and the injection process takes about 15 to 20 minutes. The exact number of injections will depend on the amount of fat you have under your chin and your desired profile.
Since everyone’s chin profile is different, the number of treatments varies from patient to patient. Dr. Dawn Scruggs will help determine how many treatment sessions you need based on the amount and distribution of your submental fat and your personal treatment goals. Each Kybella® treatment session is given at least 1 month apart, and you should not receive more than 6 treatments. In clinical studies, 59% of patients received 6 treatments.
After Kybella® treatment, you will likely have some swelling, bruising, or numbness under your chin. You should take it easy for the first 24 hours after treatment, and ice the treated area frequently to decrease the swelling and discomfort. Avoid exercise and drinking alcohol to prevent bruising.
What are the possible side effects of Kybella®?
Kybella® can cause serious side effects, including:
- Nerve injury in the jaw (which can cause an uneven smile or facial muscle weakness)
- Trouble swallowing
- Injection site problems including: bruising, hair loss, open sores (ulcers) or drainage from the treatment area, damage and tissue cell-death (necrosis) around the injection site.
Call Dr. Dawn Scruggs if you develop any of these serious side effects.
The most common side effects of Kybella® include:
Swelling, pain, numbness, redness, bruising, and areas of hardness in the treatment area. These side effects typically resolve within 1 month.
What should I tell Dr. Dawn Scruggs before my Kybella® treatment?
Before receiving Kybella®, tell Dr. Dawn Scruggs about all of your medical conditions, including if you:
- Have had or plan to have surgery on your face, neck, or chin
- Have had cosmetic treatments on your face, neck, or chin
- Have had or have medical conditions in or near the neck area
- Have had or have trouble swallowing
- Have bleeding problems
- Are pregnant or plan to become pregnant (it is not known if Kybella® will harm your unborn baby)
- Are breastfeeding or plan to breastfeed (it is not known if Kybella® passes into your breast milk)
- Are taking any medications, especially blood thinners
“I look forward to meeting you and helping you refresh your look with Kybella®.”
– Dr. Dawn Scruggs